Saturday 23 February 2008

My journey Part 2

To complete the story on how I on how I found raw food:

After a year or so of being vegan, I came across a website about 'Beautiful on Raw'. It was there I discovered raw food and I then decided to but a book called 'Eating without heating' by the Boutenkos. After doing research online I knew as the days went by that there was no escaping from this, I was destined to go raw, just as I knew when I turned vegetarian. I looked at some recipes online and plucked up the courage to tell my mum.

She flipped.

We had a massive arguement. She did not understand why I had a problem with cooked food. And rightly so, she knew nothing about it. As it generally is with ignorance, she wouldn't listen either. I remember her crying: 'What about sandwiches?!' To which I replied: 'I've seen a recipe for raw bread'.

(Thats flax seed type stuff by the way, although at the time I only knew of using lettuce leaves in place of bread). However, she wouldn't let me explain, and thinking I meant raw wheat she stormed out my room.

When she calmed down I finally told her more and over the coming days she began to listen. Thank God for my recipe book (which also had the Boutenko kid's story in it) which helped.

Soon we started making recipes and I began to educate her more about it as I learnt more. Some time later I discovered how to do the diet correctly, after fallen off the wagon a couple of times. Even then I came of it after six months due to a severe depressive episode where I became suicidal.

Thankfully I recovered and have recently discovered the trick to staying 100% raw, happily.
There is more to my story, which I shall reveal in a later blog.

Thats all for now,

Sofia

No comments: