Friday 22 February 2008

Low fat Raw Day One and About Me

Hello again!

Today is my first day with no overt fats and its going well so far! I ran out of food today which is a big no no if you want to stay raw successfully, especially if you live with other cooked-foodists like me.

Anyway, after I had a mango crisis at the local farm shop I returned home feeling a bit blue. Still, I did get to eat quite a few dried figs (a current fad of mine) though miraculously I managed not to eat the whole bag! Thats a big deal with me, someone who finds it very difficult to leave any food on my plate :-)

So, I promised to reveal how I stumbled on this 'whole raw food thing' so I will.

I suppose it all started when I was very young. One of my earliest memories was when I was just a little girl and my mum was taking me home from school. I told her I wanted to be a vegetarian, and as she used to be one herself (unknown to me at the time) she was supportive. However, once she explained to me that that meant I could no longer each sausages, burgers and bacon I was so shocked in innocence that these foods came from animals that I decided that it was simply impossible to eat anything as a vegetarian (how wrong I was!) and soon gave up the idea.

Several years later, when I was nine, I became convinced over a period of a few days that the universe was trying to tell me something. It seemed that whatever I watched or heard about had something to do with vegetarianism. Watching a short documentary on TV, I learnt of the way animals are treated and killed, including the shocking fact that many never see daylight until they are taken to the slaughterhouse. On the way home from school I told my mum that I knew I just had to be a vegetarian, I couldn't ignore these signs. This time I meant it and she was supportive.

I had been trying it out for a week and had my last meat meal with my Dad and my two older brothers at KFC. My Dad being from the south of Italy lectured me on how "humans need meat!" and that I would surely suffer if I went veggie. My brothers agreed. Still, I knew at least that what they said was complete tosh. However in my ignorance, after being told I'd become white as a sheet I exclaimed, "No! Thats vegans! Thats really unhealthy, I'll never do that!"

How ironic that just a couple of years later,  I would find the link between the dairy and meet industry and learn the facts about veganism. I converted, this time not with the full support of my mother who just couldn't understand what was wrong with eggs.

Thats the end of part one folks, my story seems a bit like the Arabian Nights in length so I tell you the rest tomorrow!

No comments: